Here are some of the things you’ll want to ask your mentor. Your own list will grow as you prepare for your visit.
- What skills do I need in order to succeed in this profession. Which do i need to learn or strengthen? Can I master them enough to truly succeed?
- You’ve talked to me and watched me work; do you think I’ll be able to perform this work well enough to succeed? (hard as it is, ask your mentor to be honest; there’s no point pumping time, energy and heart into something for which you’re not well suited).
- How will I spend a typical day? How many hours will I have to work? Will that change with time? Will this job afford me the lifestyle that I want?
- How do you balance your work and non work life?
- How much money does it cost to become qualified for my dream job or to set up my own business if that’s part of the dream? How much can I expect to earn initially and down the road?
- Do you have advice about getting a loan or working with bankers?
- What are the biggest expenses? The most unpredictable expenses? The hardest to control expenses?
- Which expenses can I defray and which are essential at start up?
- What can I expect to earn at first? Down the road?
- How long did it take you to break even? Earn a profit?
- What did you earn at first? What do you earn now?
- What were your biggest money mistakes?
- What has helped you maximize revenue and reduce expenses?
- Would you be willing to let me see your business plan? Your annual budget?
- What do I need to know about equipment, purchasing, location, suppliers, processes, etc?
- What ongoing training do you recommend?
- Are there any mistakes you have made that I can learn from?
- How do you attract customers? What works well? Less well?
- How do you determine prices?
- What were your biggest marketing mistakes?
- What was your biggest marketing success?
- What were your biggest surprises?
- What was your hardest time?
- What is hardest for you on an ongoing basis?
- What would you do differently if you were starting over?
- What is the biggest obstacle you think I’ll face?
- How would pursuing this job affect my spouse or partner? Our kids? Our extended family?
- What should I absolutely do?
- What should I absolutely not do?
- What else should I ask you?
- How did you get into the profession?
- How can i break into the profession? What can I expect my path and timeline to be?
- What are the next steps I need to make to move forward?
- Do you have contacts who can help me?
- Are there other people you recommend I speak to?
- Are there organizations in this profession that I should join (or stay away from)
What Can I Expect?
Here’s an outline of The Heroine’s Journey in Paris: Testdrive your Dreamjob
- In the Footsteps of Julia Child
- Just Do It
- The Search for Mentors
- Questions to Ask
- Telling Your Story
- Finding the Right Mentor
- A Mentor of Your Own
- Doing the Testdrive
- Questions for the Mentor
- Choose a Cheerleader
- Should I Hire a Coach?
- Listening with your Heart
- Evaluating the Testdrive
- Not Your Dream Job After All?
Your Travel Guide
Story teller Peter de Kuster is the founder of The Heroine’s Journey en The Hero’s Journey and an accomplished speaker worldwide. His books and stories about the Hero’s Journey – making money doing what you love – have reached millions of creative professionals worldwide in the last decennium.