Now that you are familiar with the major concepts from our The Heroine’s Journey travel program – how our stories are our destinies; how everything we do, with or without our conscious knowledge, helps to shape our stories; how stories either take us where we want to go or they don’t; and the three fundamental criteria of all good storytelling.
Here is your Heroine’s Journey towards a new story in six steps:
- The most important story you will ever tell is your own life story
- The center of your life story is PASSION.
Step 1. Identify PASSION (Ultimate Quest)
Questions to help in the process:
- What makes you happy every day?
- What makes your life really worth living?
- In what areas of your life must you truly be extraordinary to fulfill your destiny
- How do you want to be remembered?
- What is the legacy you most want to leave for others?
- What is worth dying for?
Step 2. Facing the Truth.
Here you must identify and confront your dysfunctional current stories. Some questions to get you going:
- In which of the following areas of your life is your story not working? If your behavior is not aligned with your core passion, then this story cannot take you where you want to go.
- In which areas do you need or want to be more engaged to fulfill your Ultimate Quest?
Step 3. Select a Story to Work on First
Because almost all of the core stories in our lives need at least some editing, here are some questions to help you with the selection process.
- Which of your stories causes you the most concern and grief?
- Which of your stories causes the most disruption in your life?
- Which of your stories creates the greatest misalignment with your ultimate quest in life?
- Which of these stories would you most like to work on right now?
The story you have chosen to edit is your first Heroine’s Quest. If you are to enjoy genuine transformation, then you must commit to work on this story for the next ninety days.
Step 4. Write the story you have been telling yourself that has allowed the misalignment to occur.
This means including the faulty thinking and strange logic that helped to form the story you now wish to edit. Write in as much detail and with as much specificity as you can. Your task is to unearth completely your current dysfunctional story.
& In what way(s) does the story yourself allow you to ignore that it is not taking you where you ultimately want to go in life – is not on passion?
& What logic do you use in the story to justify that your story does not reflect the truth?
& In what way(s) does the story not inspire you to take action to make this part of your life better?
Before you finish your Old Story, take a few dives into your subconscious world. Ask yourself these questions:
- What hidden influences might be behind some of your faulty thinking and beliefs that helped to create your current story?
- Do you get very defensive about your faulty story? If you do, then what are you protecting? Specifically, in what parts of this story are you most fragile and vulnerable? What are you most afraid of here? If you follow the fear, where does it take you?
- The story you currently tell yourself that you wish to edit clearly has not inspired you to make a change. What is the logic and rationale you have used to keep this faulty story alive in your life for so long?
- Is this really your story you are telling or someone else’s? Whose voice is it?
Step 5. Write a New Story
Write a new story that
- Is fully aligned with your ultimate quest and your passion
- Reflects the truth
- Inspires you to take hope – filled action
To help you articulate your new story, some suggestions:
- Start with the words ‘The Truth is…. ” Describe as vividly as possible what will likely happen if you continue with the Old Story you have got. Face reality head on by connecting the dots.
- Don’t labor over every word. You will edit it later. Just get your initial thoughts on paper, quickly.
- Because your New Story packs a cannonshot of reality it will necessarily stir a lot of emotion (the more powerful the better)
- Your New Story should clearly reflect and connect with your Ultimate Quest in life. Anyone reading your New Story Should have no trouble connecting it with what you care most about.
- Your New Story should be inspirational for you when you read it. It must move you powerfully: move you emotionally and move you to take action.
- Your New Story should contain a strong message of optimism and hope that the change you seek will indeed happen if you remain dedicated and persistent.
- Make sure that this is your story, no one else’s! Be sure this is what you really want!
- If possible craft your New Story in the context of a major turning point in your life. This change you seek should be characterized as a breakthrough.
- Work hard to summon your voice of sincerity. Your inner voice must be able to express the message, content, and direction of your New Story completely and unambivalently.
- In your story aim forward your best voice of passion. These voice can’t come forward without your encouragement.
Step 6. Design Explicit Rituals that ensure your New Story becomes reality
- Rituals are consciously acquired habits of behavior that enhance energy management in service of a mission
- Rituals represent the vehicle by which your New Story receives the investment of passionate energy
- Link the ritual to one or more values
- Invest energy in it for thirty to ninety days
- Acquire no more than a few rituals at a time
- Create a supportive environment
- A particularly valuable ritual is to begin every day of your ninety day mission by reading your new story
What Can I Expect?
Here’s an outline of The Heroine’s Journey.
FRIDAY: OLD STORIES
- The Power of your Story
- What is Your Story?
- Your Heroine’s Journey
- How Faithful are You as a Storyteller?
- Is It Really Your Story You Are Living?
- The Private Voice
SATURDAY: YOUR NEW STORY
- A Quest is Never Forgettable
- They Lived Happily Ever After?
- The Three Rules of Storytelling
- The Four Story Scenario’s
- They Lived Happily Ever After!
- Do You Have the Resources to Live Your Best Life?
- Indoctrinate Yourself
- The Story Effect
- Your New Story
- The Premise of your Story. The Purpose of your Life and Art
- The words on your tombstone
- You ultimate mission, out loud
- The Seven Great Plots
- The Twelve Archetypal Heroes
- The One Great Story
- Purpose is Never Forgettable
- Questioning the Premise
- Lining up
- Flawed Alignment, Tragic Ending
- The Three Rules in Storytelling
- Write Your New Story
SUNDAY: TURNING STORY INTO ACTION
- Turning your story into action
- Story Ritualizing
- The Storyteller and the art of story
- The Power of Your Story
- Storyboarding your creative process
- They Created and Lived Happily Ever After.
About Peter de Kuster
Peter de Kuster is the founder of The Heroine’s Journey & Hero’s Journey project, a storytelling firm which helps creative professionals to create careers and lives based on whatever story is most integral to their lives and careers (values, traits, skills and experiences). Peter’s approach combines in-depth storytelling and marketing expertise, and for over 20 years clients have found it effective with a wide range of creative business issues.
Peter is writer of the series The Heroine’s Journey and Hero’s Journey books, he has an MBA in Marketing, MBA in Financial Economics and graduated at university in Sociology and Communication Sciences.
IS THE HEROINE’S JOURNEY FOR YOU?
- You are a creative professional who is interested in developing yourself, your teams, and your organization.
- You are aware that there are no quick fixes. Learning is a journey that works when you are fully committed to it. A guide like Peter de Kuster can bring awareness and help you navigate, but in the end it’s you who is in charge of your growth.
- You want to learn more about how to tell yourself a more powerful story, learn about blind spots, and get feedback.
- You are curious and want to engage in an interactive learning journey with Peter de Kuster.
- You are motivated to work in-between journeys on yourself (e.g. working on questions that will help you develop new storytelling, mindsets, skills, and behaviors).
WHAT’S YOUR QUEST-ION?
The Heroine’s Journey is all about your development. To make the most out of your journey with Peter, we ask you to prepare topics to work on with him. These topics can serve as a starting point for further in-depth exploration.
One Day Journey for EUR 1,200 (excl. VAT)
Two Day Journey for EUR 2,150 (excl. VAT)
Three Day Journey for EUR 2,950 (excl. VAT)
BOOK THE HEROINE’S JOURNEY
Who can sign up for The Heroine’s Journey?
Creative professionals who wish to improve their storytelling, mindset(s) and develop their leadership skills.
What language do we speak in the journey?
Can I bring my own topics?
Yes, you get to choose your own topic.
Are journeys confidential?
Yes. Peter will not share anything that is discussed in the journey.
Where will the journeys take place?
Sessions will take place travelling with Peter a world city like Paris, Rome, Florence, Barcelona, Amsterdam, London, Antwerp, Berlin, Madrid, New York, Venice.
How do I sign up?
Send Peter an email to email@example.com
How do I pay?
After you booked The Heroine’s Journey by sending an email to Peter you will receive an email with info how to pay.
How do I book and reschedule a journey?
Once we’ve received your payment, our Program Coordinator will book your journey. She will also support you with rescheduling journeys if needed.
What is your cancellation policy?
Individual journeys can be postponed up to one week before the journey.